Monday, August 18, 2014

FAMILY REUNION IN MINNESOTA

I'm not going to show you pictures of lots of relatives, but I did go to a family reunion of my mother's branch of the family.  It's the first time I have ever been to it and it celebrated the 150th anniversary of those ancestors arrival in the USA from Norway.  Naturally, they settled in Minnesota and I have very fond memories of our visits to the farms of my Mom's 12 aunts and uncles in and around the Albert Lea  and Emmons, MN area.

The reunion was held at "Farming of Yesteryear."  The church pictured below is the church where my Grandparents were married at on July 1, 1899.



A quilt barn at the park.


I had to add the water tower just because I like them.  :-)


A highlight of our weekend was visiting two of my Mom's cousins.  I had never met them before (that I know of), but my sister and cousin had.  We went to visit these 2 special ladies on Saturday at their respective homes.  Berdine is 95, lives alone in her house, and has 9 children, 25 grandchildren and 24 great grandchildren.  Cora is also 95, lives alone in an efficiency apartment in a retirement/assisted living center, cooks her own meals, bakes cookies, continues to embroider (she can't stand to not be doing something) and has 9 children, over 30 grandchildren, over 30 great grandchildren (she lost count) and 8 great great grandchildren!  Cora had this darling quilt on her bed that one of her daughters made for her.  It is hand embroidered and machine quilted by her daughter.  I'm sorry the pictures are so poor, but I took the picture with my cell phone and it was kind of dim in the room.  I just loved this quilt!



It was a fun weekend spent with my sister, 2 cousins and the daughter of one cousin (plus the long suffering DH of one cousin).  It's good to be back home so we can continue moving in!

8 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a wonderful time visiting family! I love that quilt too! I am sure you are glad to be home though, so you can get settled in your new home,

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great trip into family history!
    Sounds like a couple of amazing ladies!
    A very sweet quilt. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessed are the piecemakers whether they be young or old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had such a great time. Seems not many families have those far-reaching family reunions anymore, and that's sad. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photos of the landmarks--beautiful church

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so awesome you got to meet these family members. They sound like hardy likable women!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had a safe journey and a great family reunion.
    Now for more moving in and getting settled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great trip. It is nice to meet family members you haven't seen in a long while. The trip gave you a little break from moving and now you can get back to settling in. When you are all moved in, you can get back to sewing!

    ReplyDelete