Sunday, March 21, 2010

TUMBLER TABLE RUNNER FINISHED

Last night I finished my tumbler table runner. It measures 18" x 31" and now lives on my coffee table. I tried to upload a picture of it on the table, but it wouldn't work. Maybe next time it will. I'm almost finished with the matching wall hanging. Both of these were all hand pieced, hand quilted and hand bound. (Except, when it was time to sew the binding onto the wall hanging I used the machine to sew the binding on, but then sewed it to the back by hand). I wanted to make a quilt the old fashioned way! It remains to be seen if I will do a bed sized one that way. Hee Hee!
The backing is some reproduction fabric that was on sale for $2 per yard (probably because it wasn't very pretty). It makes a good backing.
Yesterday we went to Fair Park in Dallas to a huge garage sale and a separate vintage/antique sale. Below are a few treasures I found. I try to grab up anything with tatting on it.
Notice the doily with the embroidered girl on it with the tatted edge and also a tea towel with a fancier tatted edge. And an old card of vintage buttons! I got two sets of the Beatrix Potter books - one for Jonah and one for Abigail (only 50 cents per book)! The little bag with the "J" embroidered on it has an "H" on the other side - my MIL's initials. It's stained, but I thought it was a good find.
I'll show you the wall hanging on my next post - maybe tomorrow!

We woke up to snow this morning. That is unheard of this late in the season here!

17 comments:

  1. So, yesterday's NM snow has caught up with you! Tomorrow should be sunny then, cause that's what we have today. Still a little chilly here, but will be warm tomorrow.

    Your sale finds are wonderful. Even it there is a little stain, it is still beautiful. The tatting and hand work are really pretty.

    Your table runner turned out beautifully. Doing it by hand is so relaxing and very rewarding. Well worth the effort. I bet it looks great on your table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The table runner looks fanastic. Nice work!! And I love the vintage stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The piece with the lady on it is unusual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the table runner and other goodies....It's always great to finish a project and also nice to find good buys on things you like...Looking forward to seeing you soon, but could you please get rid of the SNOW! Please, pretty please. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your table runner is lovely. I admire those timy baptist fans. Enjoy your vintage treasures. -Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your table runner, including the backing! You made some real finds! I love tatting too, and have a lot my mother made. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Calling all quilters. The Quilting Corner Group from e-bay is having their RED Tag Sale this week!! Click on QCG.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your table runner is fabulous! What great finds at the sale - real treasures. Cheers, Ann :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the table runner!
    great quilting too. I love baptist fans
    oh I would have bought all they had for $2.00 ayard
    makes great backings and in pieces for scrappy quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE the vintage stuff you found. That doily with the girl embroidered on it looks to be a rare find. Usually you see stuff with sunbonnet sue type women on it.
    I really like your hand-sewn table runner. I wish had the patience to do stuff like that still;) Maybe someday;)
    Happy Quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, love that little table runner! Hand quilting always wins me over!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your table runner is beautiful. I may have to ake you some question when I get ready to put mine together. ( I have a bunch of fabric cut but none sewn yet).
    Love your vintage finds.
    We had snow too....Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome little quilt, enjoy your great finds

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could have sworn I left a comment here this morning!! I am so in love with your tumbler quilt!! The fan quilting you did is amazing and really looks fantastic on the quilt!!

    Wonderful finds at the yard sale. I love all kinds of textiles and these are real beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your table runner and clicked on for a better look to see the quilting, it's wonderful. What fabulous treasures you've picked up, those are the sort of items I'd have gone for too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That runner is amazing. I Love it!! Great finds at the sale! :) Christine

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your tumbler quilt - I'm trying to find a handquilting class at the moment because I want Baptist Fans on everything! Do you tatt? My Mum does and I borrowed a shuttle to have a go, but haven't started yet.

    ReplyDelete